Last Updated on
Back push-ups are one of the most effective exercises aimed at developing the three-headed muscle. Training hands, many concentrate efforts on the biceps. These are showy, spectacular muscles. Volumetric, and even better, peak, biceps – the dream of anyone who at least slightly engaged in bodybuilding. But without a well-developed triceps – the muscle-antagonist – it will not be possible to reach attractive hands.
What is the essence of
Back push-ups for triceps, or dips on bench, or “dips” – an exercise that is performed with the help of a bench. Depending on the options, it can be aimed at developing strength and weight, endurance or muscle tone.
Pressing, men can get beautiful, voluminous and strong hands, and women – tightened triceps. You can perform the exercise in any conditions. The bottom line is to use your own weight or additional weights to push yourself away from the bench or crossbar located behind the body.
What muscles work
What are the inverse push-ups for – what muscles work during this exercise? First of all, the triceps itself – the three-headed muscle works, consisting of:
- long muscle;
- medial muscle;
- lateral muscle – this is the most prominent bundle.
The first two pencils are located on the side facing the trunk, and play a lesser visual role. The triceps account for about 75% of the volume of hands, so refusal to train this muscle or reduce its development to a minimum looks strange.
The task of the three-headed is the straightening of the arm at the elbow. A long bundle, besides this, helps the shoulders and back to pull the arm back and lead to the body. Push-ups develop a triceps complex, all three heads. In the elbow bending phase, the muscles contract eccentrically; returning to the starting position, the triceps receives a concentric contraction.
Push-ups are not an isolated exercise. Loading triceps, it captures the front deltas, the upper chest zone, the broadest and the muscles of the press. If you look at the muscular atlas of push-ups, you can see that about 20 muscles are involved in the work, to one degree or another.
Advantages and disadvantages
Backward push-ups are considered one of the best exercises for the triceps. Among the advantages of push-ups from the support:
- involvement in the work of all beams of the triceps; this is a very powerful exercise for the three-headed muscle; except for the basic muscles, small ones are well loaded – stabilizers, which are difficult to reach with the help of other movements;
- the ability to perform “failures” both in the gym and at home; For training, any place that assumes support is suitable; even training with extra weight at home or in nature does not require significant preparation for classes – efforts are needed no more than in the gym; as an aggravation can act and a pancake from the bar, and a dumbbell, and a bottle of water;
- the ability to use burdens allows you to progress constantly – under other conditions;
- absence of impulse phases – this allows you to keep the muscles in a constant voltage, which leads to greater effectiveness of training;
- a great variety of performance – you can change the position of the hands and feet, the number of additional equipment and intensity;
- relative ease of execution – the ability to train the triceps even the most untrained beginners; having reached a certain progress, the beginning athlete is able to undertake more complex exercises – press narrow grip, French press, push-ups on the uneven bars, etc .; at the same time, reverse push-ups allow to qualitatively load the three-headed even to advanced athletes – it is enough to change the version of the performance and training program;
- well suited for women; the triceps zone in women is a problematic place in which the fatty layer is formed; after menopause in this area, fat often goes away, leaving behind loose flabby stretched skin; reverse push-ups from the bench – a simple and reliable way to bring muscles and skin in order, make triceps attractive and functional;
- exercise increases the strength of the bench press; the connection of muscle stabilizers is also an opportunity to increase the volume of hands, and the key to the growth of the power base;
- push-ups – a good alternative to bench press narrow grip, if the athlete has problems with brushes; “Narrow” press overloads carpal joints, which can lead to injuries; in this case, the replacement will be no less effective exercise;
- dips on the bench stretch the chest – this is especially true for young athletes, in which the chest is susceptible to expansion by push-ups, pullovers, etc.
Any exercise should be done thoughtfully. Including reverse push-ups – the benefit can side with the harm. Lack of flexibility of the shoulder joints and problems in this area in general – an excuse to abandon this movement or perform with extreme caution.
See also: The best triceps exercises
Dropping too deep, you can injure the weakest part of the delta – the rotator cuff. If problems with the shoulder are recommended, choose push-ups on the uneven bars. This is a more complex, but less traumatic exercise in the context mentioned.
Types of exercise
There are 3 basic versions of push-ups:
- classic – hands and feet rest on the bench; 2 benches are used;
- lightened – hands on the bench, feet on the floor;
- Advanced – weights are used.
There are intermediate options. Having mastered the lightweight push-ups, you can increase the load by lifting one leg. Recall that the location of the hands and feet affects the intensity of the exercise. Therefore, within the framework of the main species, it is possible and necessary to experiment. But be sure to observe the technique. For example, do not rely on the bench with your fists instead of your hands.
Technique of execution
Consider how to do reverse push-ups – the technique of lightweight and classical movements.
Sounds like beginners, girls and overweight people. Implementation Schemes:
- Put your feet on the floor, and your hands on the bench – palms down, slightly wider than your shoulders; the starting position implies almost completely straightened hands; You can keep your legs straight or slightly bent; buttocks are closer to the bench, without touching it at the same time; look forward, back straight;
- smoothly lower the pelvis down, parallel with this, bending arms in the elbows; hands must be kept pressed to the body; if you plant them in the sides, increases the risk of injury and reduces the load on the three-headed; the amplitude should be deep, but within the reasonable – no need to strive to touch the buttocks of the floor, this is fraught with problems with the shoulder joints; If you are already experiencing a small problem with your shoulders, lower yourself to a comfortable depth;
- on exhalation return to the starting position; do not need to straighten your hands completely – leave the triceps tense, and the elbows are healthy;
- make the necessary number of repetitions.
Two benches of the same height are placed in parallel. One serves as an emphasis for the hands, the other for the legs. The distance between the benches depends on the length of the legs. The initial position of the hands is similar to that described above. Put your feet on the bench with your heels. The rest of the technique is the same as in the light version.
Do the right reverse push-ups – the technique of execution depends on the understanding of the nuances. Some subtleties:
- The recommended depth is the point at which the shoulders are parallel to the floor;
- descend smoothly, controlling each segment of the trajectory of motion; rise more explosive movement, but observing safety techniques;
- the back moves along the vertical axis – keep your back straight constantly;
- for lifting use only the triceps; the help of the three-headed buttocks or other auxiliary muscles reduces the effectiveness of the exercise;
- The more bent the legs in the knees, the less the load on the triceps;
- Do not raise your elbows – it connects the widest and relieves the load from the target muscles;
- if the goal is to “finish off” the triceps with a pump, the exercise can be performed at the end of the three-headed training; if the task is to maximize the triceps, it is better to do push-ups at the beginning of the workout.
Program of push-ups
There are a lot of training programs. Strength training involves one scheme, mass-gathering – another, the relief – the third, the endurance – the fourth. We offer a program that allows for 7 weeks to increase the number of reverse push-ups to 100.
Of course, the plan is conditional – the starting and final parameters depend on the level of the athlete. The scheme is designed for beginners, but beginners are different. We start from the average degree of preparation of the “junior”.
- press twice a week – after working on your back and chest;
- after the training of the nurses – 4-5 sets of push-ups with a break of 1-1.5 minutes;
- then work on the muscles of the back, followed by 2 sets of triceps; try to push yourself to the limit, rest between sets is increased – to the required level of recovery;
- within the program dips on bench – the only exercise on the three-headed;
- if the scheme is too light or, conversely, too heavy, you need to reduce or add the number of repetitions;
- at the end of the seven training weeks, pause – let the muscles and ligaments rest for a few days; then you can either continue to work on a similar program, adding intensity, or modify the scheme for other tasks.
Backward push-ups – the program for the number of repetitions:
|A week||Number of sets and repetitions|
|1||after nursing – 5 approaches 12 times
after the back – 2 sets of 20 times
|2||after pectorals – 5 sets of 15 times
after the back – 2 sets of 25 times
|3||after breast – 4 approaches 20 times
after the back – 2 sets of 35 times
|4||after nursing – 4 sets of 30 times
after the back – 2 sets of 55 times
|5||after pectorals – 5 approaches 40 times
after the back – 2 sets of 70 times
|6th||after nursing – 4 approaches 55 times
after the back – 2 sets of 85 times
|7th||after nursing – 4 sets of 70 times
after the back – 2 sets of 100 times
How to improve the efficiency of reverse push-ups?
After mastering the exercise, performed with its own weight, you can increase the effectiveness of “failures” with the help of weights. This can be done both for guys and girls. Women do not need to be afraid of transformation into masculine beings. In most cases, training with extra weight will not cause the growth of “female” muscles. But help make the figure more attractive.
Exercising in the gym, usually use pancakes from the bar. Studying at home, in the course of the improvised means – a backpack with a weighting agent, dumbbells, a closed container with water. Weighing is placed on the front of the thigh. And first fix the additional weight, and then put your feet on the bench.
It is not necessary to put burdens on the knees. Try to put closer to the pelvis. This will protect the knee joints from injury. Even if you feel the strength to take a lot of weight for you, it’s not worth it. Perhaps your muscles are already ready for such a load, but let them get used to burdening and ligaments.
Basic mistakes and contraindications
The effectiveness of the exercise increases the technicality in combination with the observance of a number of conditions. Typical errors when performing push-ups:
- too wide a setting of hands and the removal of elbows to the sides;
- delay in the upper phase with straightened hands; it strongly loads the elbow joints and reduces the effectiveness of “failures”; optimally push up without stopping at the end points – this contributes to the best blood supply to the muscles;
- back exercises and push-ups on bars at one workout; exercises are characterized by similar biomechanics – the risk of overtraining of triceps is great;
- execution of motion on an unstable surface; this interferes with the concentration, which, in the end, determines the effectiveness of the training as a whole.
Do not push yourself from the bench if your shoulders are injured. If the injuries were in the past, you need to exercise very carefully, without overloading the shoulder joints. In any case, before the “failures” should be thoroughly warmed up – the heated muscles and ligaments are much more “loyal” to the load.