One of the local exercises on the buttocks is the gluteal bridge, which due to its simplicity in the classical version can be performed anywhere: in the gym, at home and even lying in bed.
Exercise gluteal bridge is a lifting of the buttocks above the floor from the prone position. The key word here is not a “bridge”, which requires flexibility and plasticity, but a “gluteal”, aimed at the development of gluteal muscles.
Why the “bridge”? Because the exercise is different from the usual lifting of the pelvis above the floor. It’s all about the shoulder joint. If he is on a hill and the pelvis rises to its level, then it will be a normal ascent of the buttocks. In the case when the shoulders when climbing the fifth point will lie on the floor, we will deal with the gluteal bridge.
Thanks to the element, we not only improve the shape of the buttocks, but also develop the strength of the gluteal muscles. Having mastered the exercise and bringing it to perfection, you can safely move on to more complex and intensive elements to work on the buttocks, which by that time will already be prepared for increased loads.
The gluteal bridge is suitable for beginners and professionals alike. A variety of options for its implementation allows you to master an element to anyone. Exercise is even available to people who have joint problems, the impact on which is minimal. The element is also useful for those who want only to tighten the buttocks, bypassing the build-up of the hips. All the load during the exercise falls on the buttocks, and does not divide it with quadriceps, as, for example, in squats.
What muscles work
In the process of doing the gluteal bridge exercise, the following muscles work:
- glutes – large, medium and small;
- biceps femoris muscle;
- hind and forelegs;
- muscles bark;
- muscles – extensors of the spine;
- calf muscles.
Also, when the element is correctly executed, the press operates and there is a load on the back – you can even get rid of back pain.
Advantages and disadvantages
Exercise the gluteal bridge brings a lot of benefits and has a number of advantages.
- Deep work on the buttocks in the absence of excessive pressure on the lower part of the spine, as in the case of squats.
- Strengthening of the muscles of the press.
- Improve blood circulation in the pelvic organs and, as a result, prevent gynecological diseases and problems. This is especially true for women.
- The ability to independently choose the load and work with its own weight, and using weighting and additional sports equipment.
- Convenience of execution – special simulators and premises are not necessary. You can train at home at any convenient time.
- The element consumes a lot of calories, so it is indicated when losing weight and adjusting the back of the body.
- In the process of training, the strength of the muscles required for dynamic cardio training in the form of jumps and running is strengthened and grows.
- Minimum pressure on the knee joint, in contrast to squats.
The gluteal bridge is considered a safe exercise, so it is shown to almost anyone. Exception can only be acute processes in the body, during the course of which any physical load is contraindicated.
Technique of execution
The technician performing the gluteal bridge is very much, so the element is good. From its classical version, to modifications with weighting. Let’s begin the description of execution techniques from simple to complex.
Classic gluteal bridge on the floor
The element is executed in a fairly natural way, so it’s almost impossible to do something wrong. Step by step it will look like this:
- We lay down on the back, tightly pressing the lower back, and bend the legs at the knees on the width of the shoulders. Hands are placed along the body, and the feet are fixed firmly on the floor.
- We inhale and lift the hips and back to a straight line with the shoulders, buttocks while squeezing, press straining.
- At the top, we linger for a couple of seconds, and, making an exhalation and squeezing the buttocks even stronger, we return to the starting position. Paul at the buttocks try not to touch – immediately begin the next upward climb.
- Repeat the exercise the required number of times. Typically, 20-30 repetitions will be enough.
You can diversify the classical variation with its two modifications:
- in the initial position of the feet we keep together, as a result, when the pelvis is raised, the knees will also be brought together;
- in the upper point we reduce and dilute the knees.
In the latter version, we will work not on dynamics, but on statics, which is also very effective. When the pelvis is raised above the floor, its retention occurs at the peak of the muscle contraction. As a result, we have the maximum effort to resist the resistance to gravity. In addition, in this position, other muscle groups are connected to work.
Gluteal bridge on one leg
In this variant, in the initial position on the floor, we fix not both legs, but one. The second is pulled upwards or we have on the knee of the supporting leg. As a result, we concentrate on one side of the body and alternately effectively work through the gluteal muscles.
The further execution technique is similar to the classical version. The gluteal bridge on one leg can be diversified and strengthened by the following elements:
- In the case where the ankle of the second leg is located on the knee of the supporting leg, you can make lateral twisting at the end of the exercise, after working on the press.
- When the leg is raised, you can make flies at the top point.
Gluteal foot on fitball
Strengthen both the classic option, and the bridge on one leg will help fitball, using which we fix the legs not on the floor, but on the ball. As a result, the amplitude of the rise increases, which leads to an increase in the load.
On fitbole it is possible to make one more very effective exercise – to pass from the bridge to the return lath. The technique of execution will be as follows:
- In the starting position, the legs, bent at the knees, are located on the fitball, and the body on the floor.
- Raise the pelvis and back to a straight arc.
- Straighten the legs by rolling the ball forward. We are delayed for a couple of seconds in the return lath.
- We return to the bridge.
- We accept the starting position.
There is another variation in the use of the fitball – we do not have legs on it, but blades. In this case, the pelvis will be raised to a straight line with the blades. And at the lowest point, to lower the load on the lower back, the pelvis needs to touch the floor.
The gluteal bridge on the fitball is complicated by the fact that in addition to the main action – raising the fifth point, it is necessary to keep the balance and concentrate on the ball. The work includes and stabilizing muscles.
Gluteal bridge with a barbell
For advanced athletes, the gluteal bridge with its own weight will be too small. Strengthen the effect will help a variety of weighting, for example, the bar. The technique of execution will be as follows:
- We accept the starting position as in the classical version.
- We fix the bar on the hip fold, grabbing the simulator from above with the hands. Do not put it on your stomach!
- We raise the pelvis together with the bar, we stay at the upper point for a couple of seconds and go down.
All the actions are done slowly and carefully, so as not to harm yourself with the barbell. More experienced athletes can increase the load by raising the bar up in the bottom or, if possible, at the top.
Gluteal bridge with elastic band
Another interesting variant of burdening the gluteal bridge is an expander or an elastic band. If the bar is more suitable for the male sex, then the elastic band will be quite appropriate for girls.
The gluteal bridge technique for women in this case will be as follows:
- The starting position is the same.
- Fix the ends of the folded rubber band at the level of the hip fold on the floor. The elastic band itself will pass over the pelvis.
- When lifting the pelvis, the muscles will receive a different load at each moment of recovery. At the highest point, the resistance of the rubber band will be maximum, and the load is stronger.
You can independently adjust the load by loosening or tightening the elastic band.
Gluteal bridge on the bench
The bench is the same elevation as the fitball, which allows you to increase the amplitude of the movement and increase the load. The amplification is possible in two versions:
- On the bench is the shoulder part of the body. We bend our legs and fix them firmly on the floor. The back is straight without a sag in the lower back. With an exhalation, we push the buttocks upwards. With inhalation we return to the starting position. Buttocks should always remain in suspense.
- On the bench are knees bent at the knees. The body is pressed to the floor. On inhalation, raise the pelvis as high as possible and stay at the upper point. On exhalation we return to the starting position.
With the emphasis on the bench, you can also perform not only the classic version of the bridge, but also with an emphasis on one leg or with the knee reduction.
How many repeats require a gluteal bridge
The number of repetitions of the gluteal bridge depends on the complexity of the exercise. For example, the classical version can be given two approaches thirty times. But the variation with weighting or on fitbole will require fewer repetitions. Here it is better to concentrate on the technique of execution and to pursue not for quantity, but for quality.
To begin better with the classical version, gradually increasing the number of its repetitions. Only after mastering the element should we move on to the next, more complex.
Tips for beginners
The gluteal bridge is not a basic exercise, therefore it is better to include it in the complex of exercises. It will most effectively show itself after squats and before the elements on the press. In such a program, the load will be evenly distributed: first the legs work, then the buttocks and then the abdominal muscles.
Especially after the sit-ups, the buttocks are already sufficiently warmed up and the effect can be fixed by a bridge. Especially effective in this case, the gluteal bridge will be in a static state, in which we fix the position at the top point for a few seconds or add the knee reduction.
There are a number of recommendations, the adherence to which will allow you to master the technique of the exercise even for a beginner and to make the most of it:
- Watch for the location of your legs. They should not be too close or opposite to the body, otherwise the load will “go” to the muscles of the quadriceps. Find the optimal angle for yourself between the back of the thigh and the lower leg.
- When pushing the pelvis upward, try to move the weight of the body to the heel, so the right muscles will be used even more. Do not tear your feet from the floor. Try to lift the casing as high as possible from the floor.
- The tension of all muscles: from the buttocks to the press should accompany the exercise at all its stages. The meaning of the element is the voltage at the top point, but in the lower relaxation is unacceptable. Otherwise, there will be no tangible progress.
- Do not do the lifting and lowering mechanically, each movement should be controlled and associated with the correct breathing: lifting – inhaling, lowering – exhalation.
- During the exercise, there should be no support for the neck, otherwise you can squeeze the nerve endings.
- Remember: gradualness is the main ally. Increase the load gradually, do not bring the buttocks to “exhaustion”.
And the main rule is absolutely for any training – training should always begin with a warm-up, and end with an extension.
How else can I load the fifth point
The buttock bridge is not the only exercise for the buttocks. There is still a huge number of them, the implementation of which in conjunction with the bridge will achieve elastic and attractive buttocks.
|Scissors and a bicycle||Despite the fact that these elements are designed for the muscles of the press, the buttocks here also take a significant part.|
The gluteal bridge is a multifunctional movement capable of locally working the muscles of the buttocks. Simplicity of exercise and the ability to perform it at home make the element very attractive. Exercise is almost safe and effective even without using weighting or additional sports equipment. And in combination with other physical elements on the buttock muscles, the bridge will present a dream figure!