Want to get a six-pack? Learn how to quickly burn fat and pump up abs.
How to pump up the abs – a complete guide for a 6 pack
Probably almost everyone on the planet wants to have a flat stomach or embossed press cubes. Sometimes this goal seems unattainable, because proper nutrition and performing thousands of twists to achieve it is often not enough. However, you can’t give up.
Is it hard to develop abdominal muscles that would be your pride on any beach? Not so easy. Unfortunately, in the pursuit of the coveted cubes of the press, people most often focus on the training of the press and do not delve into the principles of building a diet for burning fat.
What is needed for a relief abs? Only two points:
- Pumping up the abdominal muscles – for a tough and strong muscles of the abs you need really hard training.
- Get rid of fat – for a high-quality relief you need to burn excess fat, preserving muscle mass as much as possible.
This article will help to deal with both. We will consider the main myths about the press, describe the most effective exercises and tell you what principles you need to adhere to in the diet for a press, what supplements you need to take and whether cardio workouts are needed for an optimal result.
How To Draw Abs: Common Myths About Abs Workout
Endless crunches and sit-ups will bring the abs muscles to tone, a six-pack will appear.
Not true. Perform at least a thousand crunches and sets a day for several years, but you will not have a six-pack on your stomach. Abdominal exercises make the muscles thicker and stronger, but they do not burn fat, behind which your cubes are hidden. Only the right diet to burn fat will shape your abs.
Healthy proper nutrition will remove excess fat and give the press a relief.
Not true. Proper nutrition is a great start, but it does not guarantee a press relief. You can eat only wholesome food and still gain weight. If eating is not very correct, you can lose muscle mass, then you definitely can’t see the press. In order to get rid of fat in a balanced way, special attention should be paid to the number of calories consumed per day, and not to calculate the amount of consumed protein, carbohydrates and fats.
Strength training is not needed during the diet.
Strength training is not necessary during the “drying”, but they will help you keep yourself in good shape and increase your muscle mass. On the other hand, if you overdo it with hard training during the diet, you can burn both fat and muscles. Maybe you’ll have cubes of press, but the overall picture will not look the best.
Press should be downloaded as often as possible with a large number of repetitions.
This is not true. The press is a small muscle group, and you can swing it quite often. However, you should still train the press, like any other muscle group. Often, when training the press, athletes do not adhere to the principle of progression of loads, training is light and does not become heavier over time. It is important to train the press hard and intensively, and not to chase the maximum number of repetitions.
Press should be trained 1-3 times a week. The more often you train him, the less should be the amount of work. In daily training the press makes little sense, it will only be harder for the muscles to grow. Excessive exercise will not tone your abs. Training should not be frequent, but intense. And the more intense, the stronger, thicker and visually more relief your press cubes will be.
Exercising the press is traumatic for the back.
Abs overtraining, as for any muscle group, can be fatal. A moderate approach to training the abs, on the contrary, will make the lower back stronger. The press and lower back are antagonistic muscles, their work during the training of the press is fundamentally different.
Crunches is the best exercise for abs drawing.
Not really. This is not the best exercise for a really strong and embossed abs. Most of us can do 25-50 (or even more) twists right now. The fact that twisting is easy for everyone (or will become easy in a week or two of training) shows that this load is clearly not enough. As soon as the body adapts to the load, the prerequisites for the growth of muscle mass practically cease to be created.
You can stay completely cut 365 days a year!
This is possible only with great genetics. Fitness models and bodybuilders flickering on magazine covers have a subcutaneous fat level of 5–7% or even lower. However, even they are much more comfortable in the rest of the year to keep the fat level at 10-12%. With this level of fat you will look a little more smooth, but you will feel much better. And still you will have a press.
A low-carb or non-carbohydrate diet is the only way to get a bumpy abs.
A low-carb diet is full of benefits, even natural bodybuilders and fitness models have successfully used it. However, the issue of the press is not directly related to the amount of carbohydrates. Many fitness enthusiasts achieve excellent results by applying the principle of carbohydrate alternation, introducing days with high, medium and low carbohydrate content. In addition, some of you do not even need to alternate between carbohydrate intake. It is enough to consume less calories to get rid of fat. We will discuss the issue of diet more than once in this article.
Women are just as easy to pump abs.
Not true. The female body tends to accumulate more fat. Often the fight against fat resembles a real war. However, this does not mean that it is impossible for girls to have an excellent embossed press, just for real “dryness” it will take a lot of effort.
For the relief abs you need to perform a crazy amount of cardio.
Not true. It is much more important to build a competent diet aimed at burning fat. Cardio workout only helps to spend calories and promote metabolism. You do not need to spend hours every day walking on a treadmill or climbing stairs until your mind becomes dull. The most basic thing we need is a diet. Only when you figured out the issue of proper nutrition can you gradually add a cardio load.
For a six-pack weighted ab exercises are needed.
In general, optional. Strength training will really make your abs more powerful. But for a relief abs, sometimes it does not even need to be trained! Everyone has muscles of the abs. To achieve a minimum result, training is not even needed. We repeat: the ab is almost completely associated with diet! Almost all thin schoolchildren visually stand out, but they have no power. Remember, the diet “shows” the press, strength training makes it thicker and stronger. If your goal is not a strong and hard abs, but trips to the beach, then you should not particularly focus on the abs training.
Maintaining the relief of the abs is easy.
This is not true. The average person will need a lot of effort to maintain good shape. This is primarily proper nutrition and training at least several times a week. Dreams press can be lost in a matter of days of uncontrolled nutrition.
BEST ABS WORKOUT EXERCISES
In this section, we will consider some exercises in order to pump up the press. There are both isolated exercises that load only the press, and basic exercises in which the press works only indirectly from a strong load on the entire core.
The best isolation exercises for abs drawing
There are so many isolation exercises for developing your abs. Below we provide working recommendations, however, some of these exercises will be too tough for novice athletes.
Knee Tucks is a very energy-intensive exercise. Starting position: standard plank. We move forward with one hand, then with the other. Now we pull the legs forward by 20 centimeters, keeping the back straight.
Sit-ups with a rise – a variation of the classic sit-up, but in a more explosive manner. The starting position is the same as a regular sit-up: the back is completely on the floor, the knees are bent. And now, instead of the usual sit-up, make the most abrupt upward movement. After lifting the case, we slightly forward the pelvis and stand without hands. This exercise can also be performed with additional weights: medball, kettlebell, and dumbbell.
Lifting the body with additional weights – after you have secured your legs under the roller in the simulator (“Roman chair”), lift the body to a right angle to the floor. Hold a dumbbell or an Olympic bar in your hands, go down as smoothly as possible.
Cable crunches – stand with your back to the simulator, grab the rope handle and hold its ends in the region of the shoulders. Without bending your legs, begin to curl down, trying to reach your hips with your elbows.
Wheel rollout – can be done both with a gymnastic roller and with a barbell with a pair of discs. The main thing here is a comfortable position. Gently lower your belly down, scrolling the roller forward until the body takes a horizontal position. Start rolling the roller in the opposite direction and return to the starting position.
Reverse crunches – lay down on an incline bench upside down. We take our hands at the head of the bench, bend our legs at the knees and try to raise them to the level of the elbows, then slowly lower them down. For additional resistance, you can squeeze a dumbbell between the feet or use the leg mount under the carabiner on the block simulator.
Side plank – in the starting position we stand sideways, one palm or elbow on the floor, one leg lies on top of the other. We keep the body completely straight. Stay in that position for as long as you can. You need to feel the load in the rectus and oblique muscles of the abdomen. Do not bend your back throughout the approach.
“Rock climber” – the exercise can be performed by putting your hands on the floor, bench or ball for fitness. Accept the emphasis lying, keep your back completely straight. Lift the right knee, trying to reach the left elbow, put it back and do the same, just the opposite: pull the left knee to the right elbow.
Leg raises – hang on the horizontal bar, raise straight legs to the level parallel to the floor, lock in this position. Now, instead of lowering them, spread them apart so that they are shaped like the letter V. Then connect them, keeping them parallel to the floor, and return to the starting position.
Upper Ab Workouts: The Best Basic Exercises For Abs
You may not believe it, but many athletes with impressive abs do almost no isolated exercises. Basic exercises (those that involve several muscle groups at once) require core muscle strength and stability. With their help, you can build a great abs, forgetting about dozens of sit-up sets. However, we do not recommend completely abandoning isolation abs exercises.
Squats – exercise number 1 for gaining mass and strength. It requires a strong press to maintain balance throughout the approach.
Deadlift is, unfortunately, an underrated exercise. The abdominal muscles work with the lower back according to the principle of synergists – this creates a powerful explosive force when lifting.
Squats with a barbell above your head – an exercise that requires the monstrous strength of the press to perform correctly.
Barbell press – not as much as squatting with a barbell above your head, but it loads the muscles of the press to maintain balance.
Extension from the upper block to the triceps – during this exercise, a strong static load on the press is created, designed to stabilize the torso position.
Pullover from the upper block – creates approximately the same load on the press as the extension on the triceps.
“Mill with kettlebell” – perfectly works out all the muscles of the core during tilting.
Do Your Upper Ab Exercises Even More Productive
The basis for creating powerful and sophisticated abs is the progression of loads. This means that training should become harder and harder over time. The increase in intensity should be systematic. Minor changes to the program should be made every week. After some time, this will lead to serious changes.
An increase in intensity can be achieved in the following ways:
- Increase the number of repetitions. From time to time try to break your previous record. Try to do more for at least one repetition. Over time, this will lead to impressive results. For example, if you can only do 10 sit-ups, try adding 1 to 2 repetitions every week. Over time, you will be able to do much more work.
- Reduce rest between sets. This is one of the best methods to increase intensity. If at the initial stage you rest for two minutes between sets, try to reduce the rest time by 5 seconds every week or at least once every two weeks. The muscles in your press will have to adapt to such hard work.
- Increase the number of sets. Of course, the press does not need to do a huge number of repetitive approaches. The optimal range is 10 – 25 repetitions per set. This is not a strict rule, it all depends on your form and goals. Once it has become easy for you to do 25 repetitions, you should add an additional approach, this will increase stress. Of course, adding approaches all the time will fail. Exercising your press with an infinite number of approaches is not a good idea. This will not lead to progress.
- Add extra weight. Weighing or resistance is needed to complicate the task. Apply this method gradually. It greatly increases the stress from training, which increases muscle growth, strength, and stiffness. You can use free weight (for example, sit-up with a dumbbell or a disk on the chest), weighting materials (for example, do leg lifts in the arms with weights on the ankles) or use block trainers (for example, a special handle for fastening legs to do leg lifts while lying down).
- Increase the time under load. Some abdominal exercises are performed in a static position (all kinds of planks). By increasing the time during which you perform the exercise, you make the workout harder. The response of the abdominal muscles will be appropriate.
- Slowly go through the negative phase of movement. Slow negatives is a training principle for experienced athletes. The rise is performed at normal speed, returning to the starting position is done as slowly and as possible under control. Do not overdo. Like all other methods of increasing intensity, it must be applied very carefully and systematically. You can increase the severity by detecting the passage of the negative phase. Start from 3 to 4 seconds and gradually increase this time to 10.
Effective Gym Killer Ab Workout
Conventionally, all workouts can be divided into three difficulty levels:
- Training for those who have not trained the abs for a long time.
- Training for those who regularly train the abs, but do not see tangible progress.
- Training for experienced athletes, for true fans of heavy training with iron.
Do not forget about the progression of the loads. Set a goal: to improve your best result by at least one repetition or by taking a little more extra weight.
To get the most out of your abs workouts, use these guidelines:
- Training Frequency– 1 – 3 times a week. Do not act on the principle “the more the better.” Instead, focus on increasing intensity, remembering to fully recover.
- Training intensity– do not do additional sets in the programs offered below. If you don’t see the result, increase the load in other way.
- Duration of training– during the period of gaining muscle mass, do abs workout at the very end of the training. After the main work on large muscle groups, it will be easier to concentrate on the abs. If you are not gaining weight, you can train your abs at any time.
Ab Circuit For Beginners
Start your first workout with a few sets and reps. Planks are also affected. For the first few weeks do not force events, go step by step. Gradually increase the number of repetitions. When you master 20 reps, add a second set to the exercise. Add the second set of the plank when you “submitted” 45 seconds.
When you already have 2 sets of 20 reps in your teeth, add a third. Same thing with the plank. Go to the second level of training, when in all sets you manage to do the planned number of repetitions.
|1st level – Training №1|
|Exercise||Number of sets||Number of repetitions|
|Lift the knees while lying on an inclined bench (reverse twisting)||1 – 3||20 – 25|
|Plank||1 – 3||20 – 60 seconds|
|1st level – Training №2|
|Exercise||Number of set||Number of repetitions|
|Stage||1 – 3||10 – 25|
|Side plank (for each side)||1 – 3||20 – 60 seconds|
|1st level – Training №3|
|Exercise||Number of sets||Number of repetitions|
|Twisting while standing on a block simulator||1 – 3||10 – 25|
|Wheel rollout||1 – 3||10 – 25|
Level 2: Weighted Ab Exercises
You have already developed well the strength of the core muscles by this point. At this stage, it is necessary to begin to introduce some methods of increasing the intensity into the training process, including shorter rest and completing additional approaches. There is no set rest duration. Continue to work hard and do not rush to go to the 3rd level until you feel the real strength and functionality of the abdominal muscles.
Sit-ups with extra weight – take the Olympic bar or dumbbell. Hold the projectile on the lower chest. When you can easily master 25 repetitions, increase the weight.
Plank – focus on reducing your rest time between sets. You can also perform the bar with other exercises in the form of a superset (exercises are performed one after another, without rest).
Leg Raises – if you can’t do 10 repetitions, do your maximum with the legs to the sides, and then immediately go on to the normal lifting of the legs (or knees). This exercise can also be combined with another or use additional weights.
Reverse crunches with extra weight – additional weights can be added in the form of weighting materials or by hooking the handle from the block trainer to the ankles. In any case, first, check to see if everything is securely fastened.
Wheel rollout – if this exercise has become too easy, concentrate more on the negative phase of movement.
|2nd level – Training №1|
|Exercise||Number of sets||Number of repetitions|
|Extra weight sit-ups||2 – 5||10 – 25|
|Plank||2 – 5||60 – 120 seconds|
|Legs Raises||2 – 5||10 – 25|
|2nd level – Training №2|
|Exercise||Number of sets||Number of repetitions|
|Reverse crunches||2 – 5||10 – 25|
|Side plank||2 – 5||60 – 120 seconds|
|Wheel rollout||2 – 5||10 – 25|
Level 3: Best Upper Ab Exercises
At this stage of the abs training, you should already master all forms of progression of the load, since you cannot do without them in a truly productive training.
Lifting sit-ups is a very difficult exercise even for pros. Do not try to do it with extra weight until you have perfected the technique to the ideal.
“Walking” plank – instead of counting individual steps, count one “advance” forward in one repeat.
Lifting the body with additional weights or legs raises – do in one superset. The use of the technique of slow negatives and limitation of rest time is also welcomed.
|Level 3 Workout|
|Exercise||Number of sets||Number of repetitions|
|Sit-ups with a lift||3 – 5||10 – 25|
|Walking Plank||3 – 5||60 – 120 seconds|
|Body lifting with additional weights||3 – 5||10 – 40|
|Legs Raises||3 – 5||10 – 40|
Proper Nutrition, Cardio And Abdominal Workouts
We have already discussed the exercises, but all the difficulties are still outlined. We trained well in the gym, it remains to lose excess fat and define a six-pack.
A carefully thought-out plan of proper nutrition is the key to weight loss, so you will become cut without losing muscle mass. Cardio will also help in this matter. Both of these factors are important but remember that cardio training alone will not reduce your weight. A competent diet with a small amount of cardio will help burn fat. Without proper nutrition, this is the road to nowhere.
Fat Burning Diet For Abs Drawing
Burning fat is not just a matter of healthy diet. You can eat exclusively healthy foods, but still such a diet will be ineffective. Moreover, many common diets just prevent you from creating a truly embossed abs. In 9 out of 10 cases, they lack key elements for burning fat and maintaining muscle mass. When you eat exclusively healthy foods, it often works against you. You lose both fat and muscle. So it is impossible to achieve good relief. You become thin, but most of what you have lost is your muscles, which is why the percentage of fat decreases slowly. The longer such a diet, the more muscle you lose. With this approach, something is unlikely to work out.
The following are the basic principles of proper nutrition, which can not be avoided during the cutting period:
- Frequency of meals– it is better to eat every 2.5-3 hours. Frequent nutrition in small portions helps not only to keep the diet mentally easier, but also more effective for burning fat.
- Protein– most diets do not mean enough protein. Protein is needed for muscle recovery and growth. Without a normal amount of protein, it will be difficult for the body to maintain the level of muscle mass gained. Men should eat 30–35 grams of protein every 2.5–3 hours, women should eat about 20 grams.
- Fats– Consume enough healthy fats. For normal life, the body needs fats! Remember: fats do not make you fatter! 20–35% of your daily calories should be in fats.
- Calories –quickly dropping weight, you will not get a balanced athletic body and a bump. If you lose more than 1 kg per week, you are likely to burn muscle along with fat. Count the number of calories consumed to control the process of losing weight.
- Strength training– do not go to workouts in a multi-repetitive style with small working weights during the “drying”. This is a common mistake. You need to train as hard as during weight gain.
Also, important recommendations on how to properly create a diet for burning fat, you can find in the following articles on our website:
- 25 tips for losing weight at home
- Carbohydrate alternation – diet and menu
- How to make up a menu for cutting the body? Step-by-step instruction
- The most effective diet – there may be several
- List of 40 Low-Carb Foods
FAT BURNING SPORTS NUTRITION FOR PERFECT ABS
Diet is a huge stress for the body. By cutting back on calories, you limit your intake of essential nutrients. Reception of sports nutrition during “drying” is even more important than during muscle gain. Take note of the following supplements:
- Vitamin-mineral complex– even perfectly proper nutrition does not cover the body’s needs for all vitamins. Strength training and cardio consume too many necessary trace elements. You need a large amount of vitamins and minerals. A good vitamin and mineral complex will help solve this problem.
- Fish oil –unsaturated fatty acids are essential for anyone who works hard. Healthy fats are needed for overall health, livelihoods and brain activity. A study conducted by Danish scientists showed that taking supplements containing healthy fats improves endurance, accelerates muscle growth and recovery, and also has a positive effect on the functioning of the cardiovascular system.
- Pre-workout complex –this product gives energy and allows you to train longer and more intensively. The pre-workout complex increases the effectiveness of everything you do to burn fat.
- Fat burners –these additives accelerate the process of burning fat, now there are a lot of them on the market.
CARDIO WORKOUTS FOR FAT BURNING
Cardio can become your assistant during the cutting and can do much harm if you go too far with them or apply it incorrectly. Cardio workouts really help burn fat, but too many cardio workouts will lead to loss of muscle mass. Cardio should be used in a very metered way during the diet – 3-4 workouts of 20-30 minutes per week will be quite enough. If you feel that this is not enough and the process of losing weight has stopped, gradually increase the amount of cardio.
The following tips will help you improve your cardio performance:
- By cardio can be done with high intensity (sprint races, bicycle races long) or low (walking on a treadmill or stepper). All forms of cardio somehow help burn calories and boost metabolism. But remember the measure, do not overdo it.
- Cardio and weight training. If your main goal is to have a muscular body, do cardio after the main workout in the gym. Do not do long cardio before weight training, as you spend a lot of energy.
- Cardio in the days of rest from trainingis quite the place to be. It is best in such cases to perform cardio training in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Exercise more varied –cardio should not be boring and quickly annoying. Choose the type of cardio load that you like. If this is not the case, invent it yourself. Sea options: a combination of swimming, juggling kettlebells, pushing a sleigh for CrossFit and another wagon and small cart ways. Do not stop on the treadmill alone. Sports should be fun!
A six-pack is the result of hard work. Keeping this result is also not easy. Be realistic: even the “driest” bodybuilders and fitness models will tell you that you can not always be at the peak of your physical form. However, the level of subcutaneous fat must be monitored year-round, preventing it from exceeding the permissible limits.
A healthy lifestyle is not possible without a reasonable approach to sports. Allow yourself one cheat-mil per week. If you are gaining muscle, remember that gaining lean muscle mass is much more difficult.
Watch your body and nutrition. This will lead you to success.